Anyone using deep-cycle flooded lead-acid batteries in their electric vehicle or other equipment knows the importance of routinely watering the batteries. During charging, the water content of the electrolyte will decrease due to the electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen gases. If left unchecked, the electrodes inside each cell can become exposed, resulting in a loss of battery performance. Regular watering is essential to the continued life and performance of any flooded deep cycle battery.
Electric vehicles and other equipment using deep cycle batteries typically have from four to eight individual batteries – each with multiple cells. Watering each cell can take a significant amount of time, especially if you are maintaining a fleet of vehicles. Battery packs are often located in areas that are not easily accessible, increasing the time required for watering.U.S. Battery offers two single-point watering systems (SPWS), Battery Watering Technologies and Flow-Rite, that can make battery maintenance quick and easy while offering several other benefits.
- You Can Fill All Your Batteries At Once A SPWS connects to all of the cells in each of the batteries within the pack allowing you to fill them with water from a single point.
- Save Time During Regular Maintenance On a single battery-powered vehicle, you can water all of the batteries in about a minute, versus what would normally take 45-60 minutes per vehicle.
- No Chance Of Over Watering With an SPWS, the battery cells fill up to the proper level and shut off to prevent overfilling.
- Monitoring Systems Can Tell You When To Water Some SPWS offer a sensor that can monitor water levels in the battery and indicate when they need watering.
- Extended Battery Life Frequent maintenance extends the life of your batteries which in turn lowers your annual operating costs.